Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Schoggi-Chugglä (Chocolate Balls)


A handed down recipe from my great-grandmother.

3 egg yolks
200g sugar
320g ground almonds
80g milk chocolate, melted
80g dark chocolate, melted
30g flour
2 egg whites, beaten

Beat egg yolks and sugar until bright and fluffy, add almonds, chocolate, flour and mix in the beaten egg whites.
I usually then put the whole thing in the fridge, just for 30min or so. I think the dough is better to work with when colder.
Make walnut sized balls out of the dough. The original recipe calls for "sugared hands", i.e. pour some sugar in your hands and the dough won't stick so much to it while you roll it. It never worked for me and I didn't like to have even more sugar added to the recipe.What I do is, wet my hands. After about 6 balls my hands are too sticky and the balls start looking awful, so I wash my hands and start all over.

Let the balls dry for a day until the outside feels dry.
Then bake about 7-10 min at 220°C until lightly browned. The balls will flatten slightly. Don't overbake them! Don't worry if they look too soft and gooey first when you take them out of the oven. They harden while cooling but you get a yummy soft-ish core.
Store in a tight container and not for too long. They harden and dry out after a while. They are still good in taste but you might want to dip them first in your coffee before biting them. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment